The Society was formed in 1949 as the Camerton Excavation Club by the late Bill Wedlake and had Sir Mortimer Wheeler as its President. The Society has been involved in some major excavations over the past fifty years at the small towns of Camerton, Nettleton and at many other sites in the surrounding area. The Society has its own geophysics equipment (a Gradiometer and Resistance Meter) and welcomes members’ initiatives and student projects. Excursions are organised during the summer months, including both evening walks and day trips to archaeological sites. A series of lectures is run during the winter months. The Society also publishes an annual journal ‘Camertonia’ packed with articles about current projects and other items of interest to members. The Society has recently changed it name from Bath & Camerton Archaeological Society to Bath & Counties Archaeological Society.