A Group of 1850’s Clay Pipe Kiln Wasters from Wellington Road, St Pauls, Bristol

Introduction

In December 1998 contractors working for S.W.E.B. dug a trench for new electricity cables with an associated inspection chamber in Wellington Road, St Pauls, formerly known as Victoria Road and later Rope Walk (Fig.1). This trench cut diagonally across the road at a depth of approximately 2m.

During the course of these excavations a layer of clay tobacco-pipe material approximately 80mm thick was observed at nearly 2.0m below the present road surface in the excavated inspection chamber pit almost opposite the Phoenix Public House = No 5 Victoria Road on Fig.1 (NGR ST 5959 7342. With the permission of the contractors, a small rescue excavation was carried out by the author in the pit dug for the inspection chamber in…

Read More


The Gardens and Grounds of Cleve Hill House, Downend, Bristol

Cleve Hill House, at Downend in the parish of Mangotsfield, approximately 7 km north-east of the centre of Bristol, was demolished in 1930 and its grounds redeveloped for housing. A surprising number of garden features and estate buildings have however survived to the present day. One of these structures, a lodge with an unusual quatrefoil plan at 86 Downend Road, was discussed by Stewart Harding in an article in the Avon Gardens Trust Newsletter No 5 (Summer 1989) entitled “The Wizard’s Lodge Rediscovered”. Harding ascribed the design of the lodge to the eccentric polymath Thomas Wright, the so-called “Wizard of Durham” (1711-86), who is known to have worked at Cleve Hill in the 1750’s. In October 2000 another garden…

Read More